1. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - 9. The Lady In My Life
You already know! See review here - https://rate.house/album/thriller
10. Starlight ★★★★
This is always going to sound weird, as the production is almost exactly 'Thriller', minus a few missing extra touches. The more you play it though, the less odd it sounds. From someone who has never loved the lyrical horror theme of 'Thriller', I can't dislike this. The production still bangs. It's not labelled as a demo, but Michael's vocals on the chorus sounds like a draft.
11. Got the Hots (Demo) ★★★★☆
Funky. Dope transitions from chorus to verse.
12. Who Do You Know (Demo) ★★★★
Slow and vibey. One that I wish he finished off completely.
13. Carousel ★★★☆
A bonus track on previous rereleases of Thriller, this is another good one but I prefer a number of the demos here than this finished track. It's not as funky, catchy, or original in the production.
14. Behind the Mask (Mike's Mix, Demo) ★★★★
I wish the amazing outro rolled on for longer. Someone needs to make a hip hop beat out of it. I've always liked the 'Michael' version of this song. This is a rough mix but it doesn't take away from it too much and gives us more synth-pop vibes.
15. Can't Get Outta the Rain ★★★
This feels like one hook repeated. How is it not labelled a demo? The song is very disco and bangs, but it's just too repetitive. I do like the scream like vocals.
16. The Toy (Demo) ★★★★
"An early demo version of "Best of Joy" (released in the Michael album), entitled "The Toy" (intended for the 1982 Richard Pryor film of the same name)". Like 'Who Do You Know' and 'What a Lovely Way to Go' this just puts you in a good mood.
17. Sunset Driver (Demo) ★★★★★
For a demo, this is amazing. This would have made Off the Wall or Thriller better if included. The "Pah-dah-da-da-dah-dah-dah" part coming off the chorus is incredibly damn catchy! My favourite of the 'new' songs.
18. What a Lovely Way to Go (Demo) ★★★☆
A nice stripped back song with the chance to enjoy MJ's smoothing vocals including what sounds like some beatboxing.
19. She's Trouble (Demo) ★★★☆
This is still great, but not near the quality of his album tracks. It isn't varied as other funky songs like 'Got the Hots' and 'Sunset Driver', but like I said, still excellent.
20. Billie Jean (Home Demo from 1981)
21. Billie Jean (Long Version)
22. Billie Jean 2008 (Kanye West Mix)
23. Beat It (Demo)
24. Beat It 2008
25. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (Demo)
26. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (Tommy D's Main Mix)
27. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008
28. Human Nature (7" Remix)
29. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) (Demo Version)
30. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) 2008
31. The Girl Is Mine 2008
32. Thriller (7" Special Edit)
33. Thriller (Def Thriller Mix)
34. Thriller Megamix
I would have preferred a reissue anniversary edition of Dangerous or HIStory, but hoping for things from MJ's estate is a waste of energy. We have heard most of these songs through leaks or on previous compilations but it has given me a chance to enjoy some of the songs I have underappreciated.
Best Tracks: Got the Hots (Demo), Behind the Mask (Mike's Mix, Demo), The Toy (Demo), Sunset Driver (Demo)